South Carolina heads to the Sunshine State for its bowl destination.
No. 19 USC will face No. 21 Notre Dame in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 30 at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Fla., the school confirmed Sunday afternoon.
Both teams are 8-4 this season. The game will be televised on ESPN.
South Carolina hasn’t been to the Gator Bowl since 1987, but has played in the game four times. The Gamecocks played their very first game of bowling in Jacksonville in 1946 and competed again in 1980 and 1984. USC is 0-4 in its Gator Bowl appearances.
“What an opportunity for our players to face a team like Notre Dame,” head coach Shane Beamer told reporters on Sunday. “A fantastic opportunity. I know our fans are thrilled, as they should be, to be playing the Gator Bowl for the first time since 1987. I know our fan base is thrilled with a new venue, a new place to play, of a new bowling game.
A source with knowledge of the selection process told The State last week that the Gator Bowl was extremely interested in the Gamecocks, noting they hadn’t played in the game in decades and the school’s proximity to Jacksonville. .
“It’s good to be wanted,” Beamer said. “There are a lot of bowling games that the South Carolina Gamecocks wanted. There is something to be said for that.
This will be the fifth all-time meeting between South Carolina and Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish have won three of the teams’ four meetings. The Gamecocks won last time out, a 36-32 win in the program’s historic season in 1984.
USC has exams this week. Beamer expects on-campus bowling practices to begin Dec. 15.
South Carolina appeared in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl in 2021, beating North Carolina 38-21 and finishing the season 7-6.
Beamer became only the second head coach in school history to win a bowling game in his first season at the helm of Columbia. If he were to win this year’s game, he would be the first South Carolina coach to win bowling games in his first two years on the job.
South Carolina capped off its regular season with wins over No. 8 Clemson and No. 5 Tennessee en route to its 8-4 mark. The wins over the Tigers and Volunteers marked the first time the Gamecocks had beaten top 10 opponents in consecutive weeks.
USC last won bowling games in consecutive years when it won four in a row between 2011 and 2014.
Notre Dame started the year 0-2 and ended the season with a 38-27 loss on the road to Southern Cal, but they played well in between – including a 35-14 home win over Clemson that was the Tigers’ first loss of the year.
Gamecock Bowl History
Balls classified by season
- 2021 – Duke’s Mayo Bowl (W, 38-21 vs. UNC)
- 2018 – Belk Bowl (L, 28-0 vs. Virginia)
- 2017 – Outback Bowl (W, 26-19 vs. Michigan)
- 2016 – Birmingham Bowl (L, 46-39 / OT vs. South Florida)
- 2014 – Independence Bowl (W, 24-21 vs. Miami)
- 2013 – Capital One Bowl (W, 34-24 vs. Wisconsin)
- 2012 – Outback Bowl (W, 33-28 vs. Michigan)
- 2011 – Capital One Bowl (F, 30-13 vs. Nebraska)
- 2010 – Chick-fil-A Bowl (L, 26-17 vs. Florida State)
- 2009 – Papajohns.com Bowl (L, 20-7 vs. UConn)
- 2008 – Outback Bowl (L, 31-10 vs. Iowa)
- 2006 – Liberty Bowl (W, 44-36 vs. Houston)
- 2005 – Independence Bowl (L, 38-31 vs. Missouri)
- 2001 – Outback Bowl (F, 31-28 vs. Ohio State)
- 2000 – Outback Bowl (W, 24-7 vs. Ohio State)
- 1994 – Carquest Bowl (F, 24-21 vs. West Virginia)
- 1988 – Liberty Bowl (L, 34-10 vs. Indiana)
- 1987 – Gator Bowl (L, 30-13 vs. LSU)
- 1984 – Gator Bowl (L, 21-14 vs. Oklahoma State)
- 1980 – Gator Bowl (L, 37-9 vs. Pitt)
- 1979 – Hall of Fame Bowl (L, 24-14 vs Misouri)
- 1975 – Tangerine Bowl (L, 20-7 vs. Miami of Ohio)
- 1969 – Peach Bowl (L, 14-3 vs. West Virginia)
Jeux de bol SEC pour la saison 2022
- Capital One Orange Bol (Miami) – Tennessee vs Clemson – 30 décembre – 20 h / ESPN
- Sucrier Allstate (Nouvelle-Orléans) – Alabama contre Kansas State – 31 décembre – Midi / ESPN
- Bol Chick-fil-A (Atlanta) – Géorgie vs État de l’Ohio – 31 décembre – 20 h / ESPN
- Bol SRS Distribution Las Vegas (Las Vegas) – Floride vs. Pac-12 – 17 décembre – 19 h 30 HE / ESPN
- Union Home Mortgage Bol Gasparilla (Tampa) – Missouri contre ACC – 23 décembre – 18 h 30 HE / ESPN
- Bol Liberté AutoZone (Memphis) – Arkansas contre Big 12 – 28 décembre – 17 h 30 HE / ESPN
- TaxAct Texas Bowl (Houston) – Ole Miss contre Big 12 – 28 décembre – 21 h HE / ESPN
- Bol alligator TaxSlayer (Jacksonville) – Caroline du Sud contre ACC / ND – 30 décembre – 15 h 30 HE / ESPN
- Bol TransPerfect Music City (Nashville) – Kentucky contre Big Ten – 31 décembre – Midi HE / ABC
- Bol Reliaquest (Tampa) – État du Mississippi contre Big Ten – 2 janvier – midi HE / ESPN2
- Bol Cheez-It aux agrumes (Orlando) – LSU contre Purdue – 2 janvier – 13 h HE / ABC
Cette histoire a été initialement publiée 4 décembre 2022 15h51.
#Gator #Bowl #South #Carolina #Showdown #Notre #Dame #locked